[Tango-L] SA- Neuvo Theory vs Practice: Creating a Social

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 14 12:32:43 EST 2009

Tony et al,

Susana Miller is very Argentine.  She's not an American.  Many only report bits and pieces (that whole selective perception and retention thing) of what she says.  Sorta' like saying "tango is a walking dance".  There's more to it than that.

But I think you're missing one of the points about tango's evolution.  How much can I incorporate swing moves into tango and still realistically call it "tango"?  At what point does it become swing?  Chicho saw this and in his interview mentions that tango could become more modern dance than tango with all of new dancers coming in who don't understand tango's roots.

It would be shortsighted for people to think that tango can't evolve into a different dance form in the same way that Finnish tango did.  In fact, a very well-known and respected dancer recently told me how surprised she was when she traveled abroad for the first time (about 15 or so years ago) and found out that different countries had their own version of tango.  French dancers would show her their French tango and acknowledged that it differed from Argentine Tango.  A pair of Filippino dancers showed her steps of their Phillippine tango.  Clearly they weren't afraid of acknowledging their cultural heritage.

I perfectly understand why some people might want to define their milongas in a limited way to prevent local customs from changing the milongas too much, and it's their right to do so.  If one doesn't like it, then just don't go.

I can't believe this argument still continues.  It's quite obvious that Ron's experience concerning nuevo dancers have been quite negative.  Sitting here typing arguments about it is not going to change his experiences.  He's asked for video proof - a reasonable request.  If you want to change Ron's mind, then he needs to experience it differently than how he currently has.

Otherwise, you can just agree to disagree.  Agree that your individual experiences differ and that you've reached different conclusions.

Trini de Pittsburgh