[Tango-L] Nuevo Theory vs Practice: Creating a Social Nuevo

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 12 13:03:30 EST 2009

--- On Fri, 12/11/09, Brian Dunn <brianpdunn at earthlink.net> wrote:

> This lack of understanding is evident in the idea that
> colgadas and volcadas (for example) can be taught as simple
> "tricks" without reference to connection skills with your
> partner and awareness of the dimensions of the available space.

Maybe these steps are not taught as tricks, but they are
certainly learned as tricks. There is something lacking
in the teaching, since the teacher understands something
which is not transmitted to the students.

> The sharing of momentum inherent in the volcada and colgada
> dynamic requires far MORE connection with your partner
> than most traditionalist on-axis dancing.

Well, whatever the degree of connection with your partner,
don't forget that you two are not the only ones on the
dance floor. I don't care too much whether a nuevo dancer
is connected to his/her partner, but I do care very much
what effect they have on my connection to my partner.

> And trust me, if you can't execute volcadas without
> threatening to hit someone, it's time to go back to
> class or practica to cultivate your spatial awareness

You know this and I know this, but the guys for whom this
is true can't see it; they need someone else to point it out.

It occurs to me that could happen in two ways:
a dirty look or sharp word from one of the other guys on
the floor, or gentle encouragement from their teacher.
You're a teacher, right? This is your big opportunity to
show that tango nuevo is a social dance, by ensuring that
your students understand how to behave at a milonga.

> well-executed colgadas can take up far LESS space on the
> floor than the typical ocho-cortado - but give far
> more pleasure to the follower, in my experience.

Yes, the colgada is pretty cool; I like it too.
The catch is the "well-executed" part. Eventually someone
who practices tango nuevo could make a well-executed
colgada that takes up far less space. It's a long road to
get there. On the way, it's going to make the milongas
more enjoyable for everyone if they take it easy and
gradually (over the years) ramp up the complexity and
energy. Unfortunately, the typical path is to blast out
like a speedboat right away and gradually polish the
technique. It's up to the teachers to influence which
path their students take.