[Tango-L] Tango Politcal Correctness gone wrong

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Wed Dec 9 11:19:38 EST 2009

RonTango wrote:
> There are tango dancers outside Argentina who would like to have a milonga environment that has some
 >  of the characteristics of Buenos Aires milongas.

What I'm referring is not that - people from Buenos Aires are actually a pretty tolerant bunch (if not
always in voiced opinion, always in attitude). It's OK to enforce rules at a milonga to promote
peaceful coexistence of dancers, and obviously an organizer plays the music he or she wants. And I don't
even object to a dress code.

What I object to is something entirely different: objections to a couple on purely stylistic grounds,
without any regard for whether a couple cause any disruption or not. And in that I find people
*outside* of Buenos Aires to frequently be a lot more catholic than the pope.

> customs of dancing in a line of dance, keeping you feet on the floor and dancing only to classic tango,

Ah. Obviously, there's no problem with that (well, except that "keeping your feet on the floor"
is something that no dancer does; you don't shuffle or roller-skate, you walk.
But I presume you mean keeping your feet well away from interference with other couples,
which forbids a lot of types of wide ganchos, wide boleos, some wide colgadas, a lot of
rather adventurous adornos, and many figures that need lots of space and cannot be danced
in compressed space).

As for the third point, that's natural. It's rather difficult to dance to any other music than
that which the organizer has selected (yes, I do absolutely abhor people who constantly nag an
organiser about the choice of music; if you don't like it, simply vote with your feet).

As you were commenting on:

"separate venues for dancing tango milonguero and neuvo [sic]"

are we once again to deduce that anyone dancing "nuevo" (wherever you draw the line) presumably
kicks everyone, can't hold the line of dance, and refuses to dance to classical tango, even when
faced with a packed dance floor? And since you mention the third point, I presume that he or she
also consistently nags organizers to play a tango version of "Fad Gadget's "Collapsing New
People" instead of all that d'Arienzo too?

Aren't you trying to demonise and build a "Feindbild" just a little here?

Rude people are rude people. There's also no need to attach a label of "nuevo" to them, and
their existence predates any particular style.