[Tango-L] Tango Politcal Correctness gone wrong

RonTango rontango at rocketmail.com
Wed Dec 9 07:31:51 EST 2009

----- Original Message ----

> From: Valerie Dark <valerie.dark at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Tango-L] No Nuevo (as a style) - according to the Naveiras
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Alexis Cousein wrote:
> > The only way in which "styles" would really become mechanisms for
> > speciation would be forced segregation, i.e. apartheid. I know some
> > people actually advocate this (possibly in an attempt to keep their
> > "race" "pure"), but I have just as much sympathy for apartheid as a
> > system in tango as I had for it in other matters.
>
> I love it. Tango apartheid! That's hysterical. Alexis is making a good
> point, demonstrating just how absurd extremes can be. You know, if you
> really care what everybody else is doing all the time, there's just no
> end to how annoying the human race can be.

Some dancers of tango milonguero outside Argentina have called for separate venues for dancing tango milonguero and neuvo, so this is apparently what you are referring to.

It's convenient to call upon political correctness as ammunition while avoiding the real issues at hand. Comparing separation of milongas based on style 'apartheid' is not only inaccurate, it is unfair. Apartheid was a policy of subjugation based on the color of one's skin, a fact of one's birth. It is an ugly part of human history and should not be referred to casually in making analogies.

Wanting separation of tango venues because of musical and stylistic preferences is based in part on cultural preferences, a matter of choice, not of birth. It is certainly politically correct to support the rights of minority cultures to engage in their own events without outside interference but when the tango minority outside Argentina wants to have an environment that resembles the milongas of Buenos Aires, this is called 'apartheid' or 'intolerant' or 'arrogant' or 'elitist'.

What some tango dancers don't understand or at least respect is that any social environment has customs and rules. It is characteristic of a civilized society to respect these customs and rules. Milongas in Buenos Aires have certain customs and rules, which include all classic tango music for dancing tango, adhering to a line of dance, and respecting the space of others. Those who prefer a dancing environment with different characteristics can go to nuevo practicas. In Buenos Aires tango de salon and nuevo are segregated. In Buenos Aires, dancers who enter a milonga are expected to follow the customs and rules. If you don't, you will be warned or even asked to leave.

There are tango dancers outside Argentina who would like to have a milonga environment that has some of the characteristics of Buenos Aires milongas. If you enter such a milonga, you should adhere to the wishes of the milonga organizer. You cannot impose your own values on the organizer. If you don't like the rules, don't enter the milonga. If you prefer not to abide by the rules and customs of dancing in a line of dance, keeping you feet on the floor and dancing only to classic tango, just stay away. You probably have your own tango venue where your new vision of tango is supported. Please respect the rights of others to create the environment they want. Don't expect everyone to make adjustments to your behavior and your cultural values.

Ron