[Tango-L] No Nuevo (as a style) - according to the Naveiras

tony parkes macromagix at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 14:38:18 EST 2009

i have only ever been to club bohemios in la boca cherie and it fits in with
everything you have listed..... except for one thing......

the bodyguard to escort our foursome back to the main drag to catch a cab.
the taxis would not come when we rang (twice) and my streetwise porteña was
in no way going to walk the one cuadro without a local caballero

only in bs.as ??

cheers
tony

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 5:20 AM, <macfroggy at aol.com> wrote:

> Anton,
>
> The "clubes de barrio" are not always in the outskirts of BsAs, but just
> small social clubs in neighborhoods that tourists never go to.
>
> What makes them generally different to the big milongas everyone knows
> about is that
>
> Generally everyone knows each other and dance with their friends;
> There's less cabeceo;
> People sit in long tables and groups and are not divided by sex;
> Classical tangos are played but there is more "tropical" and folklore;
> Usually food, real food not snacks, is served and people have dinner;
> The level of tango is lower;
> Often the event is called a "baile," not a milonga.
>
> It can be lots of fun to visit such dances, but only if you go with
> friends.
>
> cherie
> http://tangocherie.blogspot.com

cheers