[Tango-L] No Nuevo (as a style) - according to the Naveiras

Anton Stanley anton at alidas.com.au
Wed Dec 2 19:14:37 EST 2009

Anton Stanley wrote:
> Diversity of music or diversity of style?

Alexis Cousein wrote:
Go to a place with 50 really good couples and you'll
have 50 styles of tango. Otherwise, the couples aren't
*REALLY* good ;).

Ah yes Alexis, I'm assuming you mean dancing at the same time. However, I'd
presumed that Valerie's post meant differing styles at differing milongas,
rather that a large diversity of styles at each milonga.
But I doubt that if you and I go to a place with 50 really good couples
dancing, that we'd see each dancing to a different style of music. So
forgive me Alexis at being perplexed with your response. I have been known
to be a bit slow. Because, depending upon the answer that came forth, I was
preparing myself for tripping to milongas much further afield than the inner
environs of BsAs on my next pilgrimage.
Please Valerie, or anyone else who's trekked to the out barrios, is the
music mostly classical tango, more canyengue, more chacarera, more folksy
etc. And how were you received by the locals? I've heard that many don't
like a tourist invasion. Personally, I've spent many fabulous hours amongst
traditionally dressed Argentinians dancing nothing but chacarera in a dingy
little hall in an outer barrio. Not sure whether they called it a milonga or
anything at all.

Anton