[Tango-L] "Nuevo" Dancing to Di Sarli: "Don Juan" - Gustavo & Giselle

bettina maria fahlbusch bettinamaria7 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 11:36:57 EDT 2009

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5FOjT959J0

Trini says:
" . . .  Thanks for the video, Bryan.  They dance it beautifully, but
to my eye, it's not quite right.  As if there's a little too much work
involved.  Personally, I would have preferred touches of nuevo instead
of swaths in their performance.  However, this was a performance piece
and perhaps the swaths were there mainly for his audience."

I mean this leaves me speechless. This choreography, floorcraft,
musicality, putting together of so many comolex elements is nothing
short of "majestic as Brian puts it beautifully.

To have that analyzed and categorized in such a way, as a dedicated
student for over 10 years of Tango, such a comment as "it does not
quite look right" feels offensive.

Maybe you try?

To do what they do here - that takes a LOT. That kind of art is rare,
and in the conversation of "shut up and dance . ." is the point. . . .
You dance and you dance and you dance and you dance - and there is no
time to talk all about it, you discover, you train, you redefine, you
question, you try, you discard, till - wow, something new!
there is never an end to it. You don't need to point out you are a
"teacher" . It is VERY VERY humbling to have that kind of engagement
with tango or any art. As you always find yourself still at the
Beginning. Even while people all around you may tell you you are a
great dancer and ask for your card. To make a comment as such, I can
only say: maybe you want to look again - deeper?