[Tango-L] Di Sarli "Don Juan"/Gustavo & Giselle - Part 2

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 14 18:33:19 EDT 2009

--- On Fri, 8/14/09, Brian Dunn <brianpdunn at earthlink.net> wrote:

  So without calling into question
> the distinctions you're drawing, I'm curious what steps are on your list of "nuevo steps for the average dancer".

I'm surprised that you would ask that.  Much of the vocabulary in the Sebastian and Mariana video.  Turning colgadas in which the women stick their leg behind them.  Traveling volcadas.  Linear boleos (actually, the linear boleos going forward aren't so bad, but the ones going back behind or turned to the side are a bit funky).  All of these movements germinated in salon or milonguero, but then they got exaggerated.  It's the exaggerations that have become nuevo.

As for nuevo's development, I remember when Pablo Veron was considered nuevo.  A fabulous dancer.  Call him first generation.  (BTW, I recall Tomas Howlin advertising himself as part of this new generation of tangueros.  Love Tomas.)  Fabian, Gustavo, Pulpo are second generation.    Chico and Sebastian are third.  That's how I see it anyway.

Trini de Pittsburgh