[Tango-L] "Nuevo" Dancing to Di Sarli: "Don Juan" - Gustavo & Giselle

Anton Stanley anton at alidas.com.au
Thu Aug 13 20:03:14 EDT 2009

Brian wrote: " and many of us have seen them bring this mastery to the
social floor of the milonga with consummate taste, complete awareness of the
ronda, and inspiring improvisational skill."

Brian, could you name a few social milongas where you have seen Gustavo &
Giselle dance like in the video. If indeed they danced like that at a
typical, say Buenos Aires milonga, I would call them a menace and it would
completely destroy my dance experience on the floor with them. On the other
hand, if I were part of the audience in the video, I would be enraptured to
watch them all day long.

Whilst agreeing wholeheartedly with your comment:
"Like Paris in the 1900's, cool things may happen elsewhere on the cultural
frontiers.  But until current tango developments are "ratified by Buenos
Aires Tango", whatever that may mean to a given individual, it makes sense
for that individual to assume that they're not really "the thing" yet.  And
this mechanism alone will serve to effectively define for all of us, through
the coming decades of further development, what at any given moment is
really "Argentine Tango".
I would like to add for consideration, that "ratified by Buenos Aires Tango"
doesn't mean very much, and maybe the thought should be more on the lines of
"what's mostly danced". Just because something might be in the R&D stage of
development, doesn't make it a successful product.

Anton