[Tango-L] Trini, Bs As line

Brian Dunn brianpdunn at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 13 15:42:41 EDT 2009

Trini wrote:
"Nuevo tango looks fine when done to Piazzolla. It doesn't look very good
with D'Arienzo or DiSarli ..."

Martin responded:
"Trini, surely you jest.  I am sure you have seen Chicho dance to
Darienzo ( the famous youtube clip at la viruta with Lucia, I believe),
and Gustavo dance to Disarl.   IMHO, the best interpretations of those
composers, and done with nuevo elements."

Wow, I have to solidly agree with Martin on this one.  A brief tour of
YouTube will show the kind of dancing by Gustavo & Giselle, Chicho & a
variety of partners, and others, to classic tango music that are absolutely
magical specimens of caressing the music and one's partner with heartrending
connection and musical expression.

Trini, perhaps when you visualize "Nuevo" done inappropriately to
D'Arienzo/Di Sarli, you are only thinking of dancers you have seen who dance
their current idea of some "Nuevo" elements but are not yet very good at
executing them socially to that music. If this is true, I'll bet that, if
they like the music at all, eventually it will "look good" if they keep
working at it - especially when they have such sterling YouTube examples
from the maestros at their disposal.

In general though, I think Trini's idea of paying closer attention to the
"Buenos Aires line", i.e., new developments in tango emerging from Buenos
Aires, as opposed to the things emerging on the "tango frontier", is a very
sound approach.  After all, that's what any "Mecca" is for - to be a center
for pilgrims from which developments and distinctions can radiate outward.
Like Paris in the 1900's, cool things may happen elsewhere on the cultural
frontiers.  But until current tango developments are "ratified by Buenos
Aires Tango", whatever that may mean to a given individual, it makes sense
for that individual to assume that they're not really "the thing" yet.  And
this mechanism alone will serve to effectively define for all of us, through
the coming decades of further development, what at any given moment is
really "Argentine Tango".

All the best,
Brian Dunn
Dance of the Heart
www.danceoftheheart.com
"Building a Better World, One Tango at a Time"