[Tango-L] BsAs line versus World line of tango development

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 12:28:20 EDT 2009

Hi all,

The discussions over the past few weeks, and observations in my and others communities, have also helped me delineate what I want to do as an organizer.  I've always been supportive of tango's evolution, but I've decided to be more supportive of the BsAs line of development instead of a world line of development.  It strikes me that for anyone non-Argentine to say what is Argentine or what isn't is insulting to the Argentines.  Sorta' like Emeril telling me (a Filippino) what a Filippino dish should taste like.  To me, the series of posts that questioned whether tango music is Argentine rather than African or European was insulting to the Argentines.

To support a BsAs line of development, it no longer makes sense to me to still consider using non-tango music for tango.  To support a BsAs line, then it really only makes sense to focus on the BsAs music (Piazzolla, Bajofondo, Otras Aires).  Personally, there's only so much of that type of music I can take, but I'd prefer to work with groups that are bringing in different sensibilities into tango than with groups whose music has nothing to do with tango at all.  It makes more sense to develop a tango dance from the former rather than the latter.  What would be the best term to describe the former - Nuevo Tango?

The term "Alternative Tango" has been used to describe tango done to non-tango music.  To me, it doesn't make sense to consider this to be Argentine Tango.  Nor does it make sense to limit such dance to Argentine sensibilities, which, I think is what people are doing.  I'd simply use the phrase word non-tango music to describe the rock, blues, etc. used.  I think the phrase "Alternative Tango Music" has lumped in it too many things that could still be considered tango.

As far as deejaying at a milonga, I'd still treat this newer music/dance the same way I would milonga or vals.  Nuevo tango looks fine when done to Piazzolla.  It doesn't look very good with D'Arienzo or DiSarli, generally speaking.  Similarly, salon doesn't look as effective with Otras Aires as neuvo figures do.

I normally don't play Piazzolla or Pugliese at my milongas, so I'll guess I'll start.  Working in Piazzolla will be a bit tricky.

Trini de Pittsburgh