[Tango-L] Tango is Argentine

Anton Stanley anton at alidas.com.au
Wed Aug 5 21:15:32 EDT 2009

>From the posts, it's amazing the number of tango perceptions that exist.
Each 100% correct. Please stand up the person who has the authority to
contradict any of them. There truly is a land of Oz.
Nina's post, like many others, absolutely makes wonderful sense. I just
cannot bring myself to accept her closing line - " The best that we can do
is
honor the elements by acknowledging their influence and that is all."
USA, the home of baseball! Practically in the DNA of every citizen. An
activity awash with the influence of immigrants from around the world. An
activity that eventually became appealing to other nations and cultures. The
country sent its best teachers to help the enthusiastic pockets of
practioners in these other nations. Over time the cultural imperatives of
the individual nations began to impinge on the activity. One nation felt it
was better to reduce the distance between the bases to accommodate their
dress code of long ground level robes. Another nation felt that the
symbolism of a double triangle could offend their religious beliefs, so
implemented a circular pattern of bases. Another banned the participation of
women, even as spectators. Yet another decided that using a hard ball was an
unacceptable risk and hence allowed only soft balls to be used. An
enthusiastic cricketing nation decided that already having a plethora of
straight faced bats, they would ban the use of round bats. Etc etc etc. But
the good news was that American baseball was everywhere! Call it nuevo
American baseball or the evolution of American baseball, with my cricket bat
under my arm, I'm off to the States to show 'em how to play ball!

PS: Any reference to places or cultures real or imagined is purely
accidental and fictitious and not intended to offend any progressives,
reactionaries, fanatics, purists or fundamentalists.

Anton