[Tango-L] What Do You Think? Milonga

Ilene Marder imhmedia at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 1 15:16:50 EDT 2009

I agree with Keith... when I studied la musica at the Academia Nacional
del Tango for a few weeks,  it was made clear that milonga predated
tango and, btw, was not at all dirge like!!! (where did that come
from???)  The great tango guitarist Anibal Arias said it  had its roots
in southern Brazil, and had many influences including Cuban habanera
(from sailors), and  yes,  was in part, spread by the payadores who
brought it to the arrabal (outskirts of city) and played lively versions
on guitar. That's my understanding.