[Tango-L] What Do You Think?

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 1 13:07:58 EDT 2009

> From: Trini y Sean (PATangoS) <patangos at yahoo.com>
>

> I'm not hypothesizing that Nuevo is not tango.  I don't see that it can't be
> tango the same way Finnish Tango is a type of tango, or International Tango is a
> type of tango.  Why insist that extreme Nuevo is Argentine Tango?

Why can't we think of Nuevo in the same way we think of Milonga, i.e. related,
but a completely different dance to Tango with its own steps, style and music.
After all, Milonga only became part of the 'Tango Trinity' in the 1930s. And, just
as no one dances Milonga to Tango music or Tango to Milonga music, so it
would be with Nuevo. We could then add Nuevo Tandas during milongas.
If people don't like Nuevo, they can just sit out the tanda, just as many do
with Milonga.

Jack