[Tango-L] Frankie Manning, r.i.p.

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 28 12:29:46 EDT 2009

Trini de Pittsburgh.

Although you made good points, I do want to comment specifically on:

>> Frankie Manning is a good example of a dance genre perhaps being defined too narrowly stylistically....

Perhaps.  However Lindy, and vernacular jazz dance in the braoder sense, has been informed by _many_ besides Frankie.  I mean to take nothing from him. But Al Mims, Dean Collins, and host of others have all contributed to the current understanding of Lindy.  You might want to check out Peter Loggins' (At least I think it's Peter's) history page, http://www.dancehistory.org/ for additional insight.

>> yet aerials are now an accepted part of Lindy Hop.  Someone else can comment on their social acceptability.

Actually, NOT acceptable socially.  And rather dangerous.  I recall an aerials class I took years ago from an outstanding couple.  Their comment was:  If you do aerials, you WILL get hurt.  The only questions are when and how badly.  I'm sure all veterans of the LA swing scene recall Rusty Frank, a very good dancer ( this Rusty Frank - http://rustyfrank.com/ ) going around in a neck brace / birdcage for frickin' ever.  Good thing she even lived through that.

David