[Tango-L] Frankie Manning, r.i.p.

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Tue Apr 28 11:00:38 EDT 2009

No, this isn't about tango but about a great dancer nonetheless.   For many
of us "older" tango dancers, swing was our first dance.   My first tango
teaching job was at Sandra Cameron Dance Center where there were a number of
pictures of Frankie Manning, one of the greatest swing dancers ever, Lindy
Hop specifically, still dancing and teaching and doing a great job of it well
into his eighties.   He was an inspiration to many of us, no matter what
dance we did and could outdance everybody even at that age.   He has just
passed on at age 94 but was still dancing and planning to dance at an upcoming
festival.   Wow!   We should all be so lucky.   If there was ever a reason to
never stop dancing, no matter what dance you do, he was it.   Sandra Cameron
Dance Center brought in some great dancers over the years, but he had to be
the best.   Many people will miss him. See the NY Times online article.
Charles