Re: [Tango-L] Beware criticizing a Porteño's Tango

burak ozkosem buraktango at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 16:35:42 EDT 2009

Argentines are better at dancing Tango? Check this out first then you
make your decision. For me, Social Tango is very personal, it's
neither genetically inherited nor studied in academic institutions,
and it's immigrant culture, so it can infiltrate into different
cultures.

- Who are we comparing?
A: Milongueros who have been dancing over 30 years? Of course there is
nobody outside Argentina could achieve dancing over 30 years.
Therefore, there is no way to compare if Argentine milongueros are
better dancers than Non-Argentine milongueros.

B: Argentines who have started learning Tango recently (let's say less
than 8-10 years) compared to Non-Argentines who have similar
experience level. In this case, i wouldn't buy the generalization of
"Argentines dance better than others". I have Argentine students,
friends in this situation in BsAs and here in the states. Moreover,
Asians, Turks, and Italians might be challenging this hypothesis very
well.

I believe in 30 years, today's generation would be called milongueros
and that moment we will be able to make a hypothesis who is better at
Tango.
If someone dances over 30 years everyday hearing the same music over
and over, they better be good!

I hope this makes sense.
Burak
Chicago