Re: [Tango-L] Argentines vs. non-Argentines‏

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 26 09:02:35 EDT 2009

> From: Michael <tangomaniac at cavtel.net>
>
> I think we're comparing apples and oranges. Tango is danced DIFFERENTLY in North
> America than in Argentina. In Argentina, the emphasis is on the embrace. In
> North America, I see open position so the embrace is not as important. In North
> America, the emphasis is on figures. >

> From: Sergio Vandekier <sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com>
>
> I have asked Argentine ladies that I consider to be excellent tango dancers
> their opinion on this matter.
>
> -Who dance better Argentine men or foreign men?-
>
> They replied that foreign men seem to have a lot of technique but that Argentine
> men have better musicality and feeling for the music. They also told me that
> Argentine men have a better embrace.

I agree  with Michael and Sergio and their comments are pretty much what
I expected.. And they bears out my own experiences. I'm just surprised that
Larry, with his many years of experience in Tango, just hasn't 'got it' yet.

Or maybe Larry really does believe that technique and figures are more
important than musicality and the embrace?

Jack