[Tango-L] Report from Buenos Aires #5

Don Klein don at aymta.org
Tue Apr 21 12:51:32 EDT 2009

Jessica Douglas wrote:

> Oh: One tip: Cab Drivers only pick up people on the right side of the
> road.  They can have their red "libre" light on but pass you by if
> you're on the left side.  I don't know why, but you'll look like a
> tourist if you try to hail one on the left.
It's the law.  Collectivos and Taxis can only allow people to enter/exit from the passenger side so no one steps into oncoming traffic.  Often the left rear door is locked to prevent exiting.

>  I could go on forever about the food (I
> am a foodie, and spoiled by the diversity of San Francisco and I have
> overall found the food very disappointing here)
Disappointing, si.  If you're a heavy meat eater there are the parrillas, but almost every other restaurante seems a heritage from the Neapolitan immigration: pizza, pasta, although las ensaladas are better than those in the midwest US.  Try to find a restaurante tipico (huminta, talmales, &c -- although there are huminta empanadas) or Spanish influenced cuisine.  But the helado makes one give up on US ice cream; can't decide between French, Italian, Mexican, BsAs: would need them all at the same time.  We found a Chinese vegetarian buffet reminiscent of those in Taiwan on Suipacha up a block from Lavalle which became our favorite lunch-time place (but bu hong cha).  (Question:  I was pronouncing it Lavazheh, but a Porteno said it was Lavayyeh because of the French origin, and then back home I'm told by Jacquie [not to be called Zhaki which "reminds me of my mom calling me "Zhacqueliiiin" when I was in trouble"] says all the Portenos she knows say Lavazheh).  Wish I had known of http://www.saltshaker.net/, but I do not next year.

Don