[Tango-L] Tango Nuevo: Concepts and Musicality

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:29:35 EDT 2009

Such statements as the following:

>> - Tango nuevo: The emphasis on learning steps and figures, associated
>> with the introduction of tango nuevo into the US, which offers new
>> movement possibilities, has led to more dancers walking through steps
>> disconnected with the music.

continue to appear on Tango-L and seem to reveal a continued misunderstanding of nuevo and a confusion
between nuevo and plain old bad dancing.  Although many on the list get it, I think that a few comments
regarding nuevo are appropriate.

1. Nuevo tango is not about figures any more than "traditional milonguero" style is.  It is about concepts
of energy, momentum, continuity of motion, flow and connection that are in addition to the "traditional"
concepts.  I now dance primarily nuevo and yet at least 75% of the time do so in close embrace on "my floor
tile" and with no figures of over a single step except, perhaps, an ocho cortada or two.

2. Nuevo tango is not about ignoring the music.  It simply adds movement tools to the arsenal that I have to
express the music.  If I am dancing to Biagi, "just walking" provides all the tools I need.  If the DJ puts
on a later Pugliese, I can draw from the addtional movements provided by Nuevo to deal effectively with the
more dramatic style of the music.  And if a non-tango piece is played, I don't need to grump off the floor.

3.  Nuevo tango does not require large movements or space.  E.g. a volcada or colgada can be easily danced
on "your floor tile" in a close embrace. Boleos and ganchos (nothing new here) can be kept low and slow.
Soltadas can be done in less space than an ocho cortada.  Etc.

As others have said before, it would truly help discourse if all styles, danced well, were accorded equal
respect, and all styles, danced poorly, were accorded equal disdain. Bad navigation and disrespect for the
floor are not the exclusive domain of those who choose to add the creative possibilities of nuevo into their
dance.

Thank you
D. David Thorn