[Tango-L] Report from Buenos Aires #6: Social customs

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Tue Apr 21 01:55:28 EDT 2009

> Several years ago, somebody wrote on the list that you shouldn?t take
> photos or videos at milongas because some people don?t want to be seen
> with partners they aren?t married to. I thought this was strange but
> then the Argentine culture is different from the American culture.

Yes, I've seen this claim as well, and it's really quite ridiculous. The
chances that a cheating couple are more likely to be found out by virtue
of a photo taken by someone who lives in another country (this claim was
made pre-Facebook and photo-sharing sites ...) than by the gossip mill
of the milongas in Buenos Aires is rather far-fetched.

But it is unquestionably annoying to go to a Milonga to dance and have
flashes going off every few seconds. For a milonga with a lot of
tourists, it is unavoidable since by definition it's a photo-op for the
tourists.

> Why? The Argentines have behavior codes. One of them is not to dance
> with somebody else?s life partner. Men don?t use cabeceo with a woman
> sitting at a table with another man. If the Argentines think that two
> people are a couple, men won?t ask and women won?t accept an
> invitation.

Yes and no. What you are referring to is the traditional rule that is
not as rigidly followed. A more contemporary version would go something
like this:

- If it is a traditional Milonga (e.g., Lo de Celia), a couple coming in
together and requesting a table together will usually be seated at the
back along the wall and be out of cabeceo range anyway. A couple who
want to dance with others will need to request some other seating
arrangement that leaves them more accessible to cabeceo;

- If a man and a woman are sitting together and "gazing into each others
eyes," or holding hands, or are obviously very much into each other,
then regardless of how traditional the Milonga is, it would be
inappropriate to ask the woman to dance, or try to, and you should
certainly except a refusal (accompanied by an "are you clueless or
what?" look) if you try. I would never ask a woman in this situation (in
any country)--even if they were having an animated conversation, there
is an implicit intimacy that would be rude to break.

- If a man and a woman are seated together (regardless of whether they
are a couple), and WISH to dance with others, they really need to signal
with their body language that they are available (especially the woman).
This means perhaps seating with the chairs angled slightly away from
each other, chatting briefly while still looking outwards, etc. The man
needs to help the woman appear available in this case as well by
disconnecting from her somewhat so others know it is OK to invite her.
This won't happen as much in traditional milongas like Lo de Celia
(other than with non-Argentine couples, where the Argentine men will be
only too happy to break their own rules to dance with her once they
figure out that she's available while hypocritically commenting on how
ungallant the man is by dancing with other women and letting "his woman"
dance with other men).

There are innumerable variations and ultimately it comes down to
awareness and common sense. The jealousy factor is high in Argentina and
neither one of a couple on a "Milonga date" will dance with others
(close mutual friends excepted) EVEN IF THEY WANT TO, since they know
there will be hell to pay later!!

Expect these rules to continue to loosen and become more ambiguous with
each passing year ...

Shahrukh