[Tango-L] Report from Buenos Aires #7: Milonga Review

Vince Bagusauskas vytis at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 20 17:16:17 EDT 2009

From: "Michael" <tangomaniac at cavtel.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:41 AM
To: "Tango-L List" <Tango-L at mit.edu>
Subject: [Tango-L] Report from Buenos Aires #7: Milonga Review

> 3. Milonga de los Consagrados @ central region leonesa (This is the
> same location for Mi Refugio and Nino Bien

And supposedly the place where the best-of-the-best porteneos are supposed
to attend from the information a teacher told me.  One lady of my group
having a bit of stage fright due to the intimidation of the place and thus
not dancing very well, was told to "sit down" less than 1 minute into the
1st dance.  Tough crowd. They did play salsa; jive as a break from tango
too.

> 5. Miscellaneous
> DJs seem to follow the 2-1-2-1 approach to music. 2 tandas of tango, 1
> tanda waltz, 2 tandas tango, 1 tanda of milonga. In the States, the
> pattern seems to be
> 4-1-4-1.

Interesting that you say that as I recall it being around 3-1-3-1 .  It  is
around 6-1-6-1 in some places in Australia.