[Tango-L] First trip to Bs. As.

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Mon Apr 13 11:34:50 EDT 2009

re Michael's experience in Buenos Aires, a couple of observations, and a
reality check.

Over the years I have heard horror stories from people, both men and women,
that went down and didn't dance even one dance with the locals, and
sometimes none at all (!) for two weeks.   Although the men there will make
exceptions for attractive women, of course, generally if the men don't know how to
dance well (or are beginners) women won't respond to their cabeceo, even if
they are wearing a suit.   Many people from the U.S. go down thinking they
are good dancers only to have a rude reality check.

Also remember that if they don't know you, they may wait to see if you know
how to dance well.   I sat for two hours dressed up in Lo de Celia a few
years back trying to get a dance when I finally realized that women weren't
responding because no one knew me and had no idea whether I could dance or
not.   Finally I asked someone sitting at the next table to dance, who didn't
know how to dance very well it turned out, but it worked.   After that I got

Also keep in mind that nowadays there are different styles of milongas so
first make sure you are going to one that fits your style of dancing, and
possibly dress.   Dancing open-embrace, nuevo-style tango, (and wearing baggy
cargo pants with T-shirts hanging out) won't get you many dances at
Sunderland, but on the other hand, it will at other venues.

Cheers,
Charles