[Tango-L] The Truth About Tango Nuevo

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Fri Apr 10 11:36:28 EDT 2009

Ron of Central Illinois writes --------> Nuevo, although having
historical roots in tango and often danced to tango music (often not)
is a different dance from tango. Typically the feet are not maintained
on the floor and some movements do not follow the line of dance and
many challenge the personal space of others on the dance floor.

Uh, no.  Failing to follow the line of dance except in emergencies and
imposing on other peoples space isn't nuevo anything.  It's being a
selfish, idiotic ass-hole.

As for nuevo tango being about not keeping your feet on the floor,
traditional tango has had elevados of many kinds since at least the
1920s when El Cachafaz according to some sources invented the boleo.
Toe taps (golpes and golpecitos) have also been around a long time.
Kicks of various kinds, such as amagues, also have a long history.
Caricias (usually the woman caressing the man's leg or foot) are at
least 25 years old.  In show tango the caricia is very exaggerated, but
tiny ones are easily done in social dance.

Rod McRae writes --------> after the first couple danced a Tango in
Argentina, everyone who followed and added or changed the way a step
was done should technically be called "Nuevo"

Exactly right, but there's no technically about it.  Nuevo simply means
new.  As I said in an earlier post there's always some new "nuevo."

What some label "nuevo" arose from what Gustavo Naveira and Fabian
Salas called their Tango Study Group in the 1990s. They were concerned
that some of the techniques of milongueros was dying with them.  So
they came up with a way of describing these peoples figures in the most
basic way possible, hoping to write the milonguero's techniques down
and so preserve them.

Here's a brief summary.  Walking steps use only one foot at a time, and
there are limited ways to take a step.  With your right foot you can
step forward or back, to the side, or to the side crossing the free
left foot either in front or back of your right foot.  That's five
steps, plus five more for the opposite foot.  This is true for someone
walking alone.

Salas and Naveira also describe relation between two people dancing
together.  I've always thought the words they used for this were
unclear, and I'm not sure that the relations they focus on are
important.  I won't even bother trying to describe them.

Salas and Naveira (who have never labeled their dancing as nuevo)
aren't the only tango dancers to try to break tango figures down into
the most basic parts.  In fact, I'd bet that a lot of the people in
this forum have done so.  I certainly have.

Once you analyze figures you begin to see that you can make new figures
out of the parts.  One way is to vary old figures.  Ochos, for
instance, are made of two steps which includes 180-degree pivots.  Why
not try pivots of less than that?  These are called under-turned ochos
or zig-zags.  Or three-quarter-turn (270-degree) pivots or full-turn
(360-degree) pivots.  These are sometimes called over-turned ochos.

And you can make new figures by combining parts from two different
figures.  Such as half of a forward ocho with half of a backward ocho.

Tango seems always to have been more concerned with improvisation than
with robotic duplication of "frozen in stone" figures invented by
someone else long ago.  Thus we will always have nuevo movements.

Unless, that is, we give in to the self-appointed tango police trying
to make the rest of us conform to THEIR idea of tango.

Larry de Los Angeles ( novelette "Lady Death" add to
http://ShapechangerTales.com )