[Tango-L] Bajofondo review

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 11:41:39 EDT 2009

Hola listeros,

As some of you know, Bajofondo is on a North American tour.  Traditionalists might not like to dance to their music, but I still recommend traditionalists to go their show.  Think of it as a fun cultural experience.  If you don't want to think of them as a tango band, then think of them as a rock band.  I went to their concert last weekend in Pittsburgh, which had a mix of tangueros and non-tango people, who way outnumbered the tangueros.  It was great to see such a positive response from the non-tango people.  As soon as the band came out, the front of the stage was filled with the rockers (lots of bouncing up and down).  There was a sliver of room in the back for those who wanted to dance, which weren't many.

The bandoneonist did a very cool solo, and the band also did a beautiful piece from the Motorcycle Diaries (written by Gustavo).  I was really impressed by the engagement of the musicians with the audience and with each other.  No sight reading.  It was great to see the musicians really into the music and how their played.  It reminded me of how D'Arienzo conducted his orchestra.  I think anyone who misses this show is missing an interesting slice of tango culture and a chance to bond with their fellow tangueros in new way.

Here is the rest of their tour dates.

Mon., April 6th – Montreal, QC – La TuLipe
Tues., Apr. 7th – Boston, MA – Middle East Downstairs
Fri., Apr. 10th – New York, NY – The Highline Ballroom
Sat., Apr. 11th: Washington, DC – 9:30 Club
Wed., Apr. 15th – Austin, TX – One World Theatre
Thu., Apr. 16th – Tuscon, AZ – The Rialto Theater
Fri., Apr. 17th – Indio, CA – Coachella
Sun., Apr. 19th – San Francisco, CA – Bimbo’s

Trini de Pittsburgh

PATangoS - Pittsburgh Argentine Tango Society  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/