[Tango-L] Tergiversar = to distort, twist

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 24 21:45:46 EDT 2008

Sergio wrote:
>> Traditional Argentine tango requires that the man leads and the woman follows, period, there are not alternatives with respect to this.
>> Now you may dance any way you prefer, this is fine, I wish you good luck, but do not go around saying that you dance Argentine Tango.

This is what I was reacting to and I don't think that I distorted anything.  I don't dance like you prescribe, and hence I don't dance Argentine Tango.
I work very hard to give any partner whatever latitude she wants.  With my regular partner, we totally treat the dance as a conversation.  I suggest a lead,
and she follows.  But she follows as she chooses and goes where she will.  I then must react / follow her interpretation of my lead.
Of course, I can lead so clearly(?) that she really has no choice, and sometimes I do.
But that is only when I am too tired to really dance.  Then I just lead with clarity and dance through her.

Cheers,

David