[Tango-L] Lead an invitation that can be ignored or faught

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 01:33:10 EDT 2008

--- On Tue, 9/23/08, Anne wrote:

"- but the resistance is more often the ONLY response to a poor lead...the only physical means to let the leader know he is inviting a poor lead that is impossible to follow..."

Sean here.

1. Hi Anne, would you reconsider that position? I think "ONLY" is a limit you impose for yourself. There must be many other possible responses. I don't think a typical good follower is likely to resist a "poor lead that is impossible to follow". In my experience, her more likely response is to refuse that man's invitation to dance. So if I see a woman dancing with that sort of a man, I am not likely to invite her to dance. The odds of her being a "good" dancer are just too low.

2. To everyone: It seems that any idea proposed on this list is subject to debate, except one. Somehow the idea that this dance is a conversation is sacred on Tango-L. I think we ought to reconsider that myth. In my experience, "conversation" is inadequate to describe the relationship between a man and a woman dancing tango. "Fusion" and "Synergy" come closer to the mark.

The idea that the dance must be a conversation is another self imposed limit. There are many other possibilities. Since a conversation requires at least two participants, imposing that restriction on the dance seems to preclude the possibility of dancing as one.

Sean

PATangoS - Pittsburgh Argentine Tango Society  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/