[Tango-L] "El hombre marca y la mujer sigue"

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 20:35:25 EDT 2008

--- On Wed, 9/17/08, info at adagioconbrio.co.uk wrote:

(Sean: does it grant me wisdom and remove intelligence? ; )

Hi Adriana,

I don't think the 2 are related. So it should be possible to gain wisdom over the course of ones life, without losing any intelligence. ; )

Perhaps I am using the terms too simplistically. By intelligence, I mean that which enables one to understand that smoking is addictive and bad for your health. Wisdom is that which enables one (who is not already addicted) to choose not to smoke. Most people probably develop enough wisdom to make that choice in their teens, which is why cigarette ads are targeted towards less wise preteens.

The PhD candidates I know are under 30 years old, and sheltered in academia. They are unlikely to have developed as much wisdom as a 45 year old surviving in a less sheltered environment.

I perhaps can make some more insightful comments on your other questions, but it will have to wait until I have more time. For now, consider that if I choose to walk across a room, I will do it on 2 legs. But they will nonetheless act as a single organism. For me, tango is the same. It is not like other partner dancing that I have experienced, where 2 individuals dance separate synchronized dances. When it works, my partner and I are a single organism. For the woman to ignore or fight me is as absurd as it would be for my right leg to ignore or fight my left leg when I walk across the room.

The tango organism is built from the personalities of both partners. But should either partner need to assert their identity, then (for me at least) all is lost.

Sean