[Tango-L] Tango-L Digest, Vol 30, Issue 17

David dchester at charter.net
Wed Sep 17 12:45:24 EDT 2008

Sergio,

I really think that Mario was trying to mix in a bit of hyperbole and humor into his post (at least I hope so).  In any case, I would go a step further on one of your points (although they all were pretty good), that to have a follower that fights or ignores the leader IS absurd.

FWIW, my current philosophy is that I lead steps, and invite embellishments.

Regards,

David

From: Sergio Vandekier <sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com>

I guess we can agree about certain elements:

1- Couple Dance technique requires the existence of a leader and a follower.

2- Historically the leader has been the man and the follower has been the woman.

3- One of the characteristics of dance is to move in a harmonious way throughout
the floor. Lots of technique and practice are needed in order to acquire the
necessary skills to achieve this goal.

4- To have a follower that ignores or fights the leader sounds somewhat absurd.

5- A good tango has to be wished by both the leader and the follower.  When a
leader does not like to dance with a particular follower he does not ask her to
dance

6- If a lady does not wish to follow a particular leader all that she has to do
is refuse to dance with him.

7- There is a masculine and a feminine role in tango dancing.