[Tango-L] How to initiate the lean

Laurence Moseley lgmoseley at aol.com
Tue Sep 16 11:00:00 EDT 2008

I have always found that the way to initiate the lean is similar to the
way in which the man can stop a lady who has turned into an automatic
ocho machine - by lifting her ever so slightly. That does not mean that
you lift her with your hands or arms. Rather you raise you solar plexus
and let the connection do the work.

The effect appears to be that she is standing on the ball of her foot
(often the left) with her calf muscles temporarily slightly extended.
She is then unable to walk until you once again return her to ground
level.

 From there you can lead a lean and add all sorts of possibilities. Step
back right and bend left knee slightly invites a catch round the
outside of the left knee. Step back left invites a catch round the
inside of the right knee. Walk round at a constant distance produces a
callesita, often with beautiful decorations from the lady. If the lady
chooses to let her free leg circle low to the floor, the man can offer
her free foot (obviously without weight) and she can choose to do a
drag of her own. Turning the shoulders can often produce a volcada ...
and so on. I like holding the lean and rocking a tiny amount backwards
and forward to the tipping point, in time with the music. It's a lovely
moment especially in the Vals.

The softer your knees are, the easier will it be to execute such a
move. The easier her knees are, the more choice she will have in how to
react to your lead.

Of course, the indication is just that. Like every other lead in Tango,
it is an invitation, not a command. The lady may ignore it if she
wishes, or even fight it. One hopes that the latter will be rare.

Brazos

Laurie (Laurence)