[Tango-L] Learning vs. Practicing at Milongas (was: dull, dull, dull)

Shahrukh Merchant shahrukh at shahrukhmerchant.com
Tue Sep 2 09:26:04 EDT 2008

Caroline says:

> It was only
>> when I stopped classes and practicas and went to milongas only that I
>> finally learned to ditch all the bad habits picked up from classes and
>> rather overly opined beginner leaders in practicas that I discovered
>> what Real Tango is.

No question, as others have pointed out, that the real learning happens
in the Milonga, but you cannot do all your learning at Milongas without
being a nuisance to your partner and fellow dancers (especially for the
man), or without missing or taking an unnecessarily long time to
incorporate fundamental techniques that will improve your dancing (for
both men and women).

The way I like to think about it: One learns elements, figures and
techniques at classes, but one learns _how to dance_ at the Milongas.

This actually brought up in my mind the flip side: the unfortunate
custom of teaching or practicing at Milongas (as opposed to practicas or
classes). A lot has been said of this practice, especially of the "know
it all" man who subjects a victim to an uninvited drawn-out lesson on
the dance floor, but often enough one sees mutually consenting couples
practicing some figure or the other at a Milonga as well (I don't mean
trying to incorporate it into their dancing, but rather reviewing their
class or favourite step or whatever).

I mainly wanted to repeat a quote on this subject from Danel and Maria,
which I remember well from my early and formative Tango years back in
the Stanford Tango weeks:

"You go to a Milonga to dance, not to practice. If you are practicing at
a Milonga, ask yourself this question: WHAT EVENT IS IT THAT YOU ARE
PRACTICING FOR?"

Shahrukh