[Tango-L] What to do when the floor is tight

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 19 02:04:24 EDT 2008

> From: Tango Society of Central Illinois <tango.society at gmail.com>
> For the crowded floor:
>
> - Hold your partner close.
> - Take small steps.
> - etec, etc >

Since Larry has had 20, or is it 30, years experience of Tango,
I would assume he already knows these simple rules and is
looking to be more inventive with his steps and figures.

> From: Martin Waxman <martin at waxman.net>
>
> View Ney Melo and Jennifer Bratt improvising in a small space:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elMyNZId4Zc

I admire Ney Melo and Jennifer Bratt very much, so no disrespect
to them, but, IMHO, dancing in a small, fixed space is completely
different to dancing in a small space, which is always changing as
it moves along the ronda and as other dancers close in and move
away. Some dancers seem to have a 6th sense about this and
always seem to have space, or are able to make space. I suppose
it comes with experience. Nevertheless, this video does show some
nice figures to dance in a small space. But, IMO, the key is never
to assume you'll still have space to complete any figure you start
and always be prepared to improvise.

Of course, you still have 2 other alternatives - either sit down and
watch or go find a place with more space. Personally, I can only
take a crowded dance floor for so long and then I need to stretch
my legs. That's the great thing about BsAs - if you don't like one
milonga, you can always move on to another.

Jack