[Tango-L] How to dance the "3 3 2" form

David dchester at charter.net
Fri Oct 17 17:19:32 EDT 2008

For me, I don't count when I dance, just like I don't count when playing
music.  However, when learning something new, in TANGO or in music,
"understanding" the rhythm (along with other "technical things") is helpful
to me.  If it is not to anyone else, so be it, but we don't all learn the
same way.

What I do when learning something in tango, is first I tackle what I call
the "analytic" (or technical) aspects, and only after I feel comfortable
with that, then I can move onto the artist and/or emotional aspects.  For
those of you who don't need to do that, try to remember (or at least
understand), we are not all as fortunate as you are, but we are doing the
best that we can with what we have.  And for me, it works quite well.

In my opinion, one big advantage in talking in analytic terms, is that the
language tends to be less ambiguous.  Now with the question that started
this whole thing (how to dance to a 3-3-2 rhythm), I was simply trying to be
helpful with my reply, in as clear and simple of a way that I knew how.
First I gave an example of a song that had an easily identifiable 3-3-2
rhythm, and then I gave some examples of step rhythms, that could be used.
It's not the complete solution, but it's the best that I could briefly do.
If someone has a better way of how to be helpful to the with the question,
please try.

Now someone who really can feel the music wouldn't need to ask that
question.  Even if they don't know consciously what they are doing, at a
subconscious level they know when to step, and when not to step (as you can
feel it from the music without any need to count, or even think about it).
It's so much a part of you, that you don't need to think about it.

In fact, almost anything that you get really good at, you don't have to
think about, even though it can be quite complicated.  Try explaining how to
walk or ride a bicycle.  Most people couldn't explain it because they
haven't had to think about what they are doing for a very long time.  You
don't think about where to move you leg, what you do with your body to
balance, how to shift your balance, etc., but this is all going on.  In
music, we don't think twice about breaking things down, to aid in learning.
I'm not sure why some object to people doing that in tango (even if it isn't
how they learned).

Sure, there is a LOT more to ANY art than just the technical aspects, but I
suspect it's as good a place to start as any place else, however I could be
wrong, so I welcome further debate on this (but forgive me if I ignore the
whining).

Regards,

David