[Tango-L] Counting steps and beats when dancing Tango. Was: How to dance the "3 3 2" form

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Fri Oct 17 14:10:31 EDT 2008

 Valentin TIEDE <tdval at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>Counting steps and beats when dancing Tango ...
>
>This is as if you drink a bottle of champagne discussing the chemical analysis of the wine; as if you see a beautifull sunset >discussing the frequencies of the electromagnetic waves going into the eyes.
>I'm still a tango-beginner and I guess, the Tango-experts outside Buenos Aires know more about the tango, than the >milongueros, who don't know how to count and dance "only" by feeling"the music...

Not really.

At least for leaders, it is like learning how to create the bottle of
champagne by discussing methods of growing & harvesting grapes,
pressing the wine and bottling, or learning how to paint a beautiful
sunset by discussing brush types, technique in brush strokes, types of
paint and types of canvas.

In tango, leaders at least, do not go out and enjoy the product
created by someone else, or found native in the wild. The dancer has
to create it.

That being said, most good dancers probably don't "Count" while
dancing, any more than proficient readers recite the alphabet while
reading. But counting can be a useful tool while learning, and I'm
sure, long ago, most of the old milongueros  spent at least some time
counting beats and counting steps.