[Tango-L] Lead and follow

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Sun Oct 12 00:39:36 EDT 2008

On Oct 11, 2008, at 9:40 PM, Jack Dylan wrote:

> I'm still open to the idea, but I'm not convinced about any big
> improvement
> that the man will make by learning to dance the woman's role.

Specifically:

If you experience the movements of the follower, you feel what she
does inside her body and you will find it far easier to figure out how
to lead those movements. Leading another person well is a very deep
experience, like a martial arts. Doing it yourself is extremely
enlightening.

That's the main benefit. There are a number of other reasons. For
example
  - The follower learns technique sooner than the leader.
  - By following you feel what you are supposed to feel like.

If you are dead set against it for ideological or psychological
reasons... well, fine. You don't have to anything you don't want to.
I'm just telling you what is extremely obvious to me.

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org
Denver, CO 80207