[Tango-L] Tango in the Spring - festival report

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 15:48:58 EDT 2008

--- On Wed, 10/8/08, Myk Dowling <politas at gmail.com> wrote:

> > To be honest, if it was just social dancing, I'd
> be less likely to attend.
>
> Can I ask why?

The price of gas has made traveling a lot less attractive, so we don't even go to DC anymore just to dance socially, either.  But if there's are workshops with someone I like, then I feel that my gas money is doing double duty.  And I know that a festivals with workshops are more likely to attract the type of dancers I prefer.

> I'm still fairly new to tango, and haven't been to many festivals
> myself, but the way I hear it, after many hours of workshops, people are tired and don't want the extra stress of dancing with unknown quantities.

I find that people at festivals try first to dance with their friends, partners, or anyone new they think could be interesting.  By the end of the festival, though, people are more relaxed and are often more willing to dance with someone they haven't danced with yet.

Happy festival-going,
Trini de Pittsburgh