[Tango-L] Lead and follow

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 00:46:55 EDT 2008

Sergio Vandekier wrote:

> The woman should be instructed to do nothing unless she gets a clear lead from
> the man.

This is extremely important, especially in classes. All the time I see ladies in class
doing the steps themselves and then later, these same ladies complain that their
partner can't lead them. But the lady is not giving the man the opportunity to learn
in class where leading problems can be identified in the presence of the teacher and,
hopefully, get resolved.

I have a wonderful woman teacher in Buenos Aires [Gladys Colombo] who just won't
move a muscle unless I lead her. This can sometimes be frustrating when I'm also
trying to learn my steps but she always says that the man leading the woman is more
important than the man doing his steps. The more I learn about tango, the more it
always comes back to the woman :-).

And, let's not forget that the man must know the woman's steps - otherwise, how
can he possilbly lead her? So the man has a triple duty - he must know his own
steps, the ladies steps and how to lead those steps. It's tough being the man :-).

Jack