[Tango-L] Tango in the Spring - festival report

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 01:27:59 EDT 2008

Here in Canberra we just had a fantastic tango event, and I'm wondering
if anyone is doing similar events around the world.

The basic idea for the festival was that it was all about social
dancing. There were no workshops, no performances, just four days of
social dancing.

The event kicked off Friday evening with the showing of a short film,
"Si Sos Brujo: Una Historia Tango", which, as a musician, I found very
interesting. Then there was a welcoming milonga from 8pm until midnight.

Saturday we had an Asado (Argentine BBQ) at lunch time, immediately
followed by our club's regular Saturday afternoon practica. Then from
9pm until 2am was "Tango til two", the Saturday milonga.

Sunday afternoon in Old Parliament House there was a short lecture by Dr
Daniel Martin: "Tragedy, hopelessness, unrequited love", which looked at
the demographic roots of tango and how they affected its development.
This was followed by a short milonguita on a very small and quite
crowded dance floor.

Sunday evening, again from 9pm to 2am, was "Tango til two - the sequel".

Monday was a public holiday in most of Australia, so the festival
wrapped up with an afternoon milonga from 2-6pm.

There was a lot of great DJing, with well-grouped tandas and nice
transitions. The atmosphere throughout the festival was absolutely
fantastic, everyone was kept in a good mood, and the numbers barely
dwindled until the closing of each milonga. At each of the three evening
milongas, seating was arranged, with everyone being escorted to their
table, and the tables were mixed up, attempting to get everyone sitting
with people from different cities.

But the best thing for me was that there was no cliques; everyone danced
with everyone, or so it seemed.

So, is anyone else doing events like this, social mixer festivals with
no workshops, no performances, and no "Big Name" identified people? If
not, I can heartily recommend that people try it out as an event format.
It's really great to be able to dance with people from all over when
they aren't exhausted after nine hours of classes.