[Tango-L] obsession with nuevo

Vince Bagusauskas vytis at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 30 15:58:16 EST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: tango-l-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:tango-l-bounces at mit.edu] On Behalf Of
larrynla at juno.com
Sent: Monday, 1 December 2008 4:48 AM
To: tango-L at mit.edu
Subject: [Tango-L] obsession with Nuevo

>Of course you always see people who race, stop for a long time and block
the flow, play chicken with other dancers, and >bump you if you're in their
way.  But this has nothing to do with the style of tango they do.  It's
because they are >selfish, arrogant, ass-holes.  You see that in every form
of dance, especially in the salsa and east-coast swing world >where dancing
sometimes seems a form of warfare.

Totally agree. I see a difference between, cities where a tight, close frame
is required and a respect for others is shown to places where it seems the
definition of a good dance is how many ganchos and volcadas can be thrown in
a song no matter who is around.

Lately I have been concentrating on trying to smoothly turn my partner
keeping the axis, do mirror giros and project through in my basic walks. A
large minority to tango seem in the main want to do fantasia so how do I
satisfy their needs while getting enough dances of my own?