[Tango-L] How tango evolves

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Fri Nov 28 19:56:10 EST 2008

Charles wrote -----> [Observing Chicho] for a number of years now ...
ten years ago.  If there was any open space at all he would be flying
around the room passing people, dodging in and out, spinning like a
washing machine.
______________________________
My observations were in 2003 and 2004.  I saw none of what you
describe.  Maybe he was on a sugar high when you saw him!

Or maybe he knew better and acted the asshole.  I don't know or care.
I've seen the same careless behavior by plenty of people who were not
remotely nuevo dancers.

Here are a couple of dancers often labeled "nuevo" who are performing
for an audience, but illustrating (whether they meant to or not) how to
dance compactly yet with poetry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTGg5D2Tlsc

To my ear they beautifully interpreted the slow nostalgic music
("Poema"?).  They stayed in a tight embrace the entire dance, only
loosening up two or three times.  They made good use of pauses,
flirting with tiny little foot flourishes, changes of direction, rock
steps, and the like.  I think only once or twice did anyone's feet move
very far from the "shadow" of the embrace.  When the woman did boleos
or amagues they were to the front and close to her body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-5Bxtck3Uw

Pretty much the same as the first couple.  This, incidentally, is
Chicho in 2003, during the two years on which he visited L.A. a half
dozen times and during which I took several lessons from him.  He went
to milongas about a dozen times during those two years which I
attended.

Larry de Los Angeles
http://shapechangers.wordpress.com