[Tango-L] How tango evolves

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 17:57:23 EST 2008

Trini (PATangoS) wrote:

> At some point, a version of Argentine tango became Finnish tango.  A
> version of Argentine tango became International Ballroom tango.  It's
> quite possible that a version of Argentine tango is becoming another
> type of tango, a separate branch on the evolutionary chain.  Or could
> it be evolving in a direct line?

Except that now, there is less separation. Finnish and International
Ballroom Tango diversified because there was a lack of regular
communication to maintain the form (and probably a fair dose of
Imperialist arrogance). But the modern "Argentine Tango" dance is shared
around the world. I doubt there are many people dancing Tango who aren't
at most one or two removes from teaching in Argentina. (ie, their
teacher or themselves have learned from someone who has studied in
Argentina)

But on the other hand, there are masses of Tango tourists going to BsAs
every year, dancing in the milongas and doing classes. Surely
occasionally, the locals will pick up something they like from a
tourist, or while travelling overseas? Only occasionally, I'm sure, but
there has to be some impact.

If so, then there ceases to be any absolute "purity" of Argentine Tango
in Argentina itself, and it becomes a world dance. But I think Buenos
Aires will remain the "Tango Mecca" for a long time to come.

Myk
in Canberra