[Tango-L] How tango evolves

Clif Davis clif at clifdavis.com
Wed Nov 26 01:12:44 EST 2008

Speaking only for myself, I am not sure why I would want to spend the 2 or 3
thousand dollars to go somewhere and possibly not get to dance at all. I
mean, with all the rules that need to be followed and all the sitting around
that needs to be done in order to "learn" at the feet of the masters, I am
not sure I have the time or the money that is required. Not to mention the
patience to sit there and see people who may or may not be dancing the way I
want to. Add to that the elite snobbery that seems to prevail in most of the
venues. I think I will pass.

With the seemingly prevailing attitude of the "true" Tango folks that exist,
I wonder how this dance got where it is now.
It truly reminds me of the old martial arts world when you weren't
recognized as a "true" martial artist if you weren't taking or hadn't gotten
your rank from one of the "true" masters. Funny thing is, after retiring
from martial arts for 20 years and returning, it is still the same kicks and
punches I did all those many years ago.

I think to much time is spent on what is "thought" about the dance as
opposed to dancing it.
If we think about the true beginnings of the dance, it was danced by punks
who wanted to have the coolest moves and teach their girls how to attract
more men. Then we have the "old masters" who invented their own styles. If
there is only one "true" style, who's is it. All of the old names and
"master teachers" who did their own thing.

It is no different than Mas Oyama going up into the mountains and coming
back after 5 years with a new style of Karate.

Hey, lets have a contest. Everyone who thinks they have the answer to "the
best tango", post your video and let's see how it works for you.

Just a thought.
Clif