[Tango-L] Tango Pedantics

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 00:39:33 EST 2008

Thanks Charles:

> From: "Crrtango at aol.com" <Crrtango at aol.com>
>
> Actually the tango de salon that is danced today is pretty much the same as
> it was then anyway.  Tango de salon never went away nor really changed that
> much, if at all. >

And Ron:

> From: Tango Society of Central Illinois tango.society at gmail.com

>  Although many dancers in the
> milongas of Buenos Aires lack the skills of milongueros, they dance in
> a similar manner, in a close embrace, staying in the line of dance,
> keeping their feet close to the floor, paying close attention to and
> improvising on the music. These are characteristics of the dance that
> have remained constant over time in Tango de Salon.

I'm sure many people get sick of hearing what you guys say, but it's true
and the message needs to be kept alive. I'm one of those who believes that
it's not possible to truly understand Tango without regular visits to BsAs to
dance in the milongas and to see what it really is. Yes, you can love Tango
as a dance, and often that's enough, but really understanding it is something
else. Having said that, I often wonder whether it's possible to truly understand
Tango without being Argentine. But we can always try.

Jack