[Tango-L] How tango evolves

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Mon Nov 24 16:41:28 EST 2008

Vince is right.  Those are the big changes and they result in the
changes in tango.

And I would add (with lots of sarcasm and disappointment:):
- bad dancing (like leading a beginner woman that barely learned to
walk in tango to do a volcada).  In the past, men would never allow
themselves to be seen by women as failures in tango, so they would not
dare to try something that would most definitely fail, either to their
own or the woman's lack of skills.
- lack of polite, socially acceptable behavior - How about saying
hello and goodbye?  It helps the quantity and quality of dancing.  In
the past, if you forgot to say hello to someone you dance with in
BsAs, that person would not dance with you for three months.
Offending people is nmot a good idea, but now people do it all the time.
- high anxiety and fear about not-dancing at events.
- lack of knowledge and/or understanding of music.
- lack of standards (anything goes).
- changes in values (feeling vs. non-feeling technique, etc.).
I need to stop here or I will start complaining!:)

Tango reflects the people that dance it.  Just look at the people of
different eras (in BsAs) - what they talk about, how they dress, how
they dance. how they treat each other in the milongas - and the
evolution of tango becomes revealed.

All the best,

Nina