[Tango-L] Foot touch leading

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Thu Nov 20 13:57:56 EST 2008

Mario:
I don't have to see the video to know you don't understand barridas
(sweeping of the foot). The man doesn't move the woman's foot with his foot.
The man places his foot next to the woman's foot, leads her to step,
usually, but not always sideways, and moves his foot when she moves her
foot. He sticks to her foot like velcro. The sweep is an adornment. The lead
comes from the chest NOT the foot. If he pushes the woman's foot with his
foot, the woman could change her weight to the foot he's trying to sweep.

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC

On 11/20/08, Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atCA0lHX2MI
>
> oops, I have to say that I do NOT like the moving of the woman's foot by
> the man's. It looks sophisticated maybe (not to me) but where is the
> musicality?..I have never seen a foot sweep that had any relationship
> to the music being played. If this continues to build, there's no telling
> where this will lead..(not a pun).
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atCA0lHX2MI

I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango