[Tango-L] Tango Styles

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Thu Nov 13 22:18:43 EST 2008

I think Steve's chart is reasonable. Taxonomies often have multiple
overlapping branches, and we know that Tango always had cross
fertilization, so I'm sure there is no single categorization scheme.

You can muddy things if you lump too much together or if you split
things into too many sub-styles.

Steve doesn't mention more detailed styles like Villa Urquiza, but I
still don't know how VU differs from the tango of other neighborhoods.
Sergio says VU is the same as Traditional Salon tango, but that
ignores the other neighborhoods.

The only main thing I disagree with is that for me Nuevo Tango is more
of an analysis than a style, and doesn't have much to do with non-
tango music.

Someone asked whether "alterations" or "changes of direction" existed
before nuevo. I'm sure they did either as individual passing steps or
certain sequences like chains. What nuevo brought was a discovery of
all the possibilities.