[Tango-L] Tango Fallacies,Myths, etc.- tolerance

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Thu May 22 12:03:23 EDT 2008

The author of the web page in question asserts that the following are tango fallacies:

The eyes-closed Tango trance is a good thing.

The "cross" in the basic step is not lead.

The leader has the most difficult part.

The follower should apply pressure to the leader with their right hand

Tango is a conversation between leader and follower

I say:    Everyone has the right to dance as he wishes.  The observers may like or dislike what he does but it is his prerogative

            to dance and to think about tango as he pleases.

***IMO, a tango trance occurs very seldom, but when it does it is an unforgettable experience.  Here we could be talking about

       different things, as we are not defining what a "tango trance" is. As to the eyes could be open during the tango trance, which I calle a
"Magic experience".

***Many people think that the cross is done by the follower whenever the leader steps to her right. Those that think that way, teach
that when the leader steps to the right of the follower she will be crossed in two steps, unless he leads her not to cross.

So... you can ask is he perhaps is leading the cross unconsciously?  The fact is that he is not conscious about leading the cross and does not
prevent it from happening.  Then the cross occurs. If you prefer to do it in any other way go ahead but do not call the opposite of what you do a fallacy.

Other people prefer to lead the cross.  Fine!  Big deal!.

***I think that the leader has the most difficult part, at the time of learning at the very least.  He has to listen to the music,
decide what to do with it, learn his own foot work, lead the follower to do different steps at the same time, navigate the floor properly,
etc.  The follower learns her foot work and how to follow.

***The follower has to have "muscle tone" in her right arm in open embrace so that the lead is followed. She does not apply pressure
but maintains muscle tone.

***Tango could be, at times, thought of a conversation, metaphorically speaking.  But...as we said you may think whatever you wish.

I really do not care much anyways.  I will continue dancing and thinking the way I prefer and hope you do the same.

There is too much dogmatism, religion and fanaticism in many people in Norht Ameria that gets transported  to tango.

We are democratic, are we not?,  let's be tolerant of other peoples tastes and belifs.

Have a nice day, Sergio