[Tango-L] Why YouTube alone, isn't enough.

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 19:53:22 EDT 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
> when I see a dancer whose style I'd like to emulate..the bag of tricks is right there on YouTube..not that that makes it easy, it's just that; OK, maybe if I learn these five movements, I can have as much fun as he is.. it's a start.

And herein lies the trick, Mario. You will really start dancing only when you discover your own style. Eventually, your own body will tell you what it is capable of doing. Not everything you see (on YouTube or elsewhere) is appropriate for you (and any particular partner you may be dancing with). Do you think that those dancers you see on YouTube, if they are any good, actually emulate anyone? I don't think so.
To evolve into a good dancer, focus on basic technique (walk/steps, posture/balance, embrace, connection, and musicality) and not on any of the "movements" you see. Add to these technical elements some concepts like change of direction, change of front, cadencia, arrepentida, ways to switch between "parralel/normal" and "cross" system, using and sharing "tracks" (thanks Oscar), pausing, etc.
With time, and it does take time - years, you will find yourself dancing "movements" which come from within yourself and your partner and not from YouTube or anyewhere else. Some you will like, some you will not and so you evolve. You will really not be dancing tango unless it comes from within, unless the "movements" are generated by the music (taking into account conditions on the dance floor as well as your partner, of course).
Watching video clips can serve as an inspiration, though, it can give you ideas, but do not try emulating them, you will most likely not be able to really do it and will waste your time and get frustrated.

Be patient with yourself and dance, dance, dance, practice, practice, practice, listen to the music, listen, listen ... and have fun doing it.

...dubravko

seek, appreciate, and create beauty
this life is not a rehearsal