[Tango-L] Why YouTube alone, isn't enough..

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 08:27:07 EDT 2008

Ok, I'm finally back in Philly town where I can get some decent
  Abrazo Milonguero instruction..what a relief!...Anyway, after about
  20 minutes of just looking at the other dancers dance and experiencing
  depression from seeing their obvious developement over the past 6 months,
  I finally walked onto the floor and began dancing with a follow who had
  promised to help me try to catch up...
  Well, to make a long story short, I had a great experience at Sridhar's
  practica last night...he took the time to dance with me and to show me
  the fine points of the ocho cortado...and that's when I saw what was missing
  from my YouTube diet. ....all of the fine points that one just cannot see by
   looking only..one has to be inside of the movement and experience the;
    momentum, timing, speed, etc, etc.....ugh and wow!..
     I don't want to knock YouTube..it was all that I had..it was that or take
     open embrace classes where the follow simply back leads me thru all the
     movements.. what good is that?? not much.
   Anyway, the one good thing about YouTube study is that; Yes, I could watch
   my favorite dancers (last nite) and dissect each move from the one preceeding
    ...I could see the weight change, walk to the cross, defeat to  the ocho
    cortado, etc, etc....and now I can add that the reason that the movement looked
     so smooth is that there were umpteen little momentum, timing and rhythm points
      that were masterfully attended to....egads, my work is cut out for me.