[Tango-L] Tango Porteño

robin tara robinctara at gmail.com
Fri May 16 12:10:38 EDT 2008

Tango Porteño

>From the moment we entered the beautiful theater next door to the
Teatro Colon last night, we felt that we were in for an evening like
no other we had experienced in Buenos Aires. Two friends and I had
decided to spring for the expensive (by Argentine standards) tickets
for dinner and a tango show. Two of us have been involved with the
world of Argentine tango for more than a dozen years and we've seen
all the big shows -  Tango Argentino, Tango por Dos and Forever Tango,
to name a few. Ordinarily, we don't go to Tango shows in Buenos Aires
any more, because we feel most of them are geared to tourists and we
consider Buenos Aires our second home. Besides, as I said, we've seen
a lot of shows.

However, two good friends from New York had seen this show and
convinced us that it was worth the price of admission. Also, I was
leaving after a lengthy stay in BA and wanted to do something special
to treat myself before I left.

Entering the grand lobby, we were greeted by handsome young men and
beautiful young women dressed in formal attire. The girls wore jaunty,
miniature grey top hats, perched at a risqué angle and sleek grey
tuxedos. Two grand murals portrayed famous personages of tango and a
scene from La Confiteria Ideal. The theater itself was sheer elegance
with art deco columns, soft lighting and tables set with crystal and
linen.

We didn't expect much in the way of fine dining but were pleasantly
surprised to be offered a small but excellent selection of entradas
and main courses. Wines poured steadily throughout the meal and we
thoroughly enjoyed each dish that was presented.

We commented that if we were going to a show in New York, we would
have paid more for the tickets to the show and not have had a
delicious dinner along with it. We were already more than satisfied
with the value received. But when the lights dimmed and the curtains
opened, we understood that the evening held a lot more surprises for
us.

Just in case you haven't realized it already, this is a rave review.

The dancing was spectacular show tango. The orchestra was out of this
world. The staging and scenery spectacular and the costumes original.
For me, the highlight of the show was when Roxana Fontan stepped onto
the stage in a shimmering nude gown to sing "Malena". She stood alone
and sang without accompaniment. But she did more than just sing, she
enchanted everyone. I expected the audience to demand an encore, but
how could any human being repeat such a magical performance?

The six young couples who danced deserve kudos for their lightness and
acrobatics. They flew, they glided they soared. We were delighted to
see Nito and Elba when they appeared, looking ever so elegant and
dancing like only a couple who have danced together for years can. The
audience especially enjoyed the young milonguero who thrilled them
with his rapid fire milonga and playful leaps. The woman who danced
with a "mystery" partner (don't want to give away any secrets) had us
rolling in the aisles.

My favorite dance number was set in the boudoir. Dressed in a satin
peignoir, a woman waits for her lover on a red velvet chaise. She is
barefoot and beautiful. It was one of the most sensual tangos I've
ever seen. We had goosebumps.

The orchestra, on a raised platform above the dancers, was lead by a
tall blonde violinist dressed in cascades of silver. The music wowed
everyone with its fabulous arrangements of familiar tangos and
performances both fresh and powerful. Their tribute to Astor Piazzola
was thrilling and the large-scale projections enhanced the experience.

Yes it was a splurge for us. We spent about U$D 90 each and had an
exquisite evening including a final glass of champagne and a selection
of desserts.

I recommend it if you're going to be in Buenos Aires.

By the way, I'd love to give credit where it is due, but, for some
reason, we never got a program.